Thursday, August 7, 2014

Divergent Talk



Ok, since today was not a particularly exciting day either, I thought I'd talk about "Divergent" a little bit. I bought the DVD today, so, I figured it was a good prompt. :)

The book and film differ quite a bit. I would have preferred they not change the things they did, and keep it truer to the book. I am a firm believer in; "If people liked the book, then it's good enough for the movie to follow suit." I think the actors were excellent, even though I had my doubts at first. Movie is pretty clean, there is one few-seconds long scene that I didn't care for, and it was not how the book went, but it can be skipped easily. There is gun violence and hand-to-hand combat, but that doesn't bother me. A bit of swearing too. Age range, I'd say 13+.

As a whole, I thoroughly enjoyed the Series, finishing each book in a matter of days. It has its flaws, but I can find a lot of good things in it as well, a rare thing I think with today's popular YA Novels. Veronica Roth's claims of being a Christian do show some in her work, and I was pleased with that, though there were some elements I did disagree with. The book has a bit more dirt, but no sex, though I did skip pages-the kissing got a bit heavy. Lot's of fighting, and some swearing. There was no justice concerning the bad guys at the end of the Series, and that for me was probably the biggest let down. The second being the ending was not what I was wanting and I am particular about my endings. :) I'd say the book age would be for me, 16+.

If any of my Blog Followers would like me to break down, bit by bit, the positive and negative elements I found in the Trilogy, I will gladly do so, just let me know by commenting!

No comments:

Post a Comment